Mold can grow on virtually any indoor surface and can be very difficult to remove. Controlling mold and moisture problems should be a regular part of maintaining your Florida home and is important for your health and well-being. Diagnostic and remediation services from Innovative Construction Solutions will also help improve the aesthetics and value of your home.
The building science professionals at Innovative Construction Solutions have extensive backgrounds in luxury home and commercial construction and bring unique sets of skills to the process of testing and evaluating moisture and water penetration issues.
How Moisture and Humidity Can Damage Your Home
Moisture and humidity can lead to mildew, causing health problems for you and your family. The airborne spores of mold or mildew can travel through your air ducts and be inhaled. These spores are often responsible for respiratory issues, such as sinus congestion and asthma, as well as allergies, infections, skin irritation and more.
Florida’s humid weather can cause condensation on water pipes, toilet tanks, HVAC systems, and other mechanical objects. The moisture often leads to mold and mildew problems. It may also cause rust or fungus to develop, leading to failed mechanisms that prevent proper operation.
Flooring and Wallpaper Problems
Mold and mildew can work their way into carpets and wood flooring, and can be very hard to get rid of. If musty odors develop, the entire carpet will have to be professionally cleaned or replaced. Wood floors will warp after prolonged periods of excess humidity inside your home. Too much humidity can also build up in walls, resulting in pockets of moisture that attract mold and mildew and making wallpaper, paint, and/or drywall soggy.
Tips for Preventing Mold & Mildew
High humidity, roof leaks, plumbing leaks, air-conditioning condensation, and ground water that wicks up through concrete floors are the major causes of Florida mold problems.
Here are a few tips from our experts for eliminating moisture in your home and stopping mold in its tracks.
- Keep windows and doors closed on hot, humid days, especially when your air-conditioner is running. The contrast in air temperatures will cause condensation to form, and mold loves condensation, particularly when the indoor humidity is greater than 70%.
- Keep indoor humidity levels below 60%. Avoid:
- Hanging wet clothes, towels, and linens to dry indoors
- Taking a bath or shower without turning on the bathroom exhaust fan or opening a window so that humid air can escape to the outside
- Using a humidifier to increase humidity
- Watering live indoor plants too often which facilitates mold growth
- Clean or replace the HVAC filters in your home on a regular basis. Not only does this help prevent mold, it helps increase the life of the system and the energy efficiency of your home.
- Regularly inspect the plumbing areas in the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room for water leaks, water damage, and mold growth.
Consider hiring Innovative Construction Solutions and our team of experts to address any mold and moisture problems in your home. Contact us today at (239) 384-5890 to explore our services.